Are you ready to tee off this summer? As the sun shines brighter and the summer heat peaks, it’s the perfect time to hit the golf course. However, with the extreme weather that comes along with the season, players must take some extra precautions to ensure they’re playing their best game. Here are some tips you can use during the summer to stay comfortable, cool, and energized!
Hydration and Nutrition
Proper hydration and nutrition are crucial for any athlete, and golf is no exception. Along with drinking plenty of water, snacking on healthy options like bananas or grass-fed jerky can provide the energy and nutrients needed to keep you energized and focused on your game. By taking care of your body in this way, you can avoid dehydration and fatigue and perform at your best on the course.
Protecting your skin from harmful UV rays is essential when spending hours on the golf course during hot summer days. Prolonged sun exposure can lead to sunburn, premature aging, and even skin cancer. A bucket hat and loose-fitting, light-colored, moisture-wicking clothing will keep you cool and protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. In addition, sunscreen should be applied to all exposed skin, including your ears, neck, cheeks, and nose. Reapply every few hours.
Clothing and Accessories
Summertime golfing demands the right gear to keep you cool, comfy, and crushing it on the course. The right clothing and accessories make all the difference! Opt for lightweight, breathable fabrics that allow free movement and wick away moisture. Hats and sunglasses add an extra layer of defense against the sun, while well-ventilated shoes prevent foot fatigue.
Keep reading to discover some tips on how to take proper care of your body.
- Quick cool-downs: After a round, reduce inflammation and prevent injuries by taking a cool shower, using ice packs, or soaking in a cold pool.
- Warm-up exercises: Stretch and warm up your muscles before teeing off to improve your performance and prevent injuries. Target your back, shoulders, hips, and legs.
- Recovery practices: After your round, take time to stretch, cool down, and use a foam roller or hot/cold therapy to soothe sore muscles.
Here are some additional tips on how you can improve your game during the summer:
- Practice Putting: Take advantage of the longer daylight hours by practicing your putting after your round or during the evenings.
- Clean Out Your Golf Bag: Clean your golf bag regularly to ensure you’re not carrying around unnecessary weight.
- Get Fit and Flexible: Consider incorporating strength and flexibility training into your routine to improve your swing and prevent injury.
- Analyze Your Game: Use technology such as swing analysis apps or video recording to analyze your swing and identify areas for improvement.
- By following these tips, you can improve your game and achieve your best performance on the course.
Top performance during the golf season begins with good health. For a successful golf season, Golf Grand Junction offers two top-notch courses, Tiara Rado and Lincoln Park. Surrounded by natural beauty, these courses provide challenges for players of all skill levels. Take care of your health and take advantage of our exceptional facilities this summer. Contact us if you have any questions!